For information, a reply from Jim Bosch about eups and virtualenv. It seems that mixing this two software may be quite difficult ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [HSC Forum] "Installing virtualenv with eups"
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:09:45 -0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

jbosch posted a comment

Commented by jbosch:

I think I agree with your statement about what eups' behavior should be, but I'm afraid I'm not enough of a eups expert to be able to make that change myself (or even understand all its ramifications). I'm somewhat concerned about the idea of trying to use virtualenv with eups, though, as I think they're likely to conflict in more ways than this. As I understand it, both of them want to take control over your environment and determine which versions of other packages will be used, and I'm concerned that makes them fundamentally incompatible.

Hello,

I need to install virtualenv with eups but i run in a tricky problem :

[eups@clrlsst-dbmaster-vm eups]$ /usr/bin/python -S -c "import traceback"
[eups@clrlsst-dbmaster-vm eups]$ /opt/lsst/Linux64/python/virtualenv/bin/python -S -c "import traceback"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named traceback

So, it seems virtualenv doesn't import all python standard library.

The problems is that after having installed virtualenv, eups use opt/lsst/Linux64/python/virtualenv/bin/python and return next error message :

[eups@clrlsst-dbmaster-vm eups]$ eups
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/lsst/eups/bin/eups_impl.py", line 26, in <module>
    import eups.cmd
  File "/opt/lsst/eups/python/eups/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from exceptions import *
  File "/opt/lsst/eups/python/eups/exceptions.py", line 5, in <module>
    import sys, traceback
ImportError: No module named traceback

So, my build scripts, or setup/unsetup commands doesn't work anymore.

Is there a way to force eups to always use a fixed python version ?

Thanks,

Fabrice

To change freqency and content of these alerts, please visit your user profile.

If you believe that this message was sent in an error, please email about it the forum administrator at [log in to unmask].