On Dec 2, 2013, at 7:15 PM, Matevz Tadel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned in the "kXR_locate error messages on exported paths" thread on
> github, there were some "funny" things happening to me when doing "xrdfs ls" to
> various AAA services.
>
> There are, it turns out, two sources of problems:
>
> 1. Something to do with network configuration of slc5 nodes at UCSD. It all
> works ok at& SLAC (on slc5) and also at UCSD with slc6. Sigh, etc. The problem
> arises for all server versions (tried 3.3.3, 3.3.x, master) and it manifests
> slightly differently for 3.3.x clients and for clients from the master -- but it
> is always opening of the second connection that fails. Do the logs below help
> anybody to imagine what could be wrong? I somehow suspect ipv4 / ipv6 mess but I
> don't know enough about this to know how to really check this.
>
> 1a. Connecting with 3.3.3 client, error is "host not found":
> http://uaf-2.t2.ucsd.edu/~matevz/xrd/ls-fun/3.3.3-slc5--3.3.3-slc5.clog
> http://uaf-2.t2.ucsd.edu/~matevz/xrd/ls-fun/3.3.3-slc5--3.3.3-slc5.clogstrace
>
> 1b. Connecting with master client, error is "connection timeout"
> http://uaf-2.t2.ucsd.edu/~matevz/xrd/ls-fun/3.3.3-slc5--master-f19.clog
> http://uaf-2.t2.ucsd.edu/~matevz/xrd/ls-fun/3.3.3-slc5--master-f19.clogstrace

You need "-f" with strace to actually see what's happening.

> 2. xrootd-hdfs plugin does not support the ls operation. I confirmed this by
> running ls on UFL which is the only AAA US site that does not use hdfs.
> I'll investigate this further when I get to it.

Indeed, something looks suspicious:

[bbockelm@brian-test ~]$ xrdfs red-gridftp3.unl.edu 'ls /store/temp/foo'
[ERROR] Server responded with an error: [3011] Unable to locate /store/temp/foo; no such file or directory

[bbockelm@brian-test ~]$ xrdfs red-gridftp3.unl.edu 'stat /store/temp'
Id:    0
Size:  4096
Flags: 59 (XBitSet|IsDir|Offline|IsReadable|IsWritable)

This used to work - perhaps we had a regression somewhere along the line?

Brian