Folks,

I received the following message announcing another request for input to
P5, and I thought it might be of interest to the lcd-l mailing list.  Please, in
some way, give input to P5 concerning ILC and other important issues in
their domain.

Best wishes,

Michael
  Michael E. Peskin                           [log in to unmask]
  HEP Theory Group, MS 81                       -------
  SLAC National Accelerator Lab.        phone: 1-(650)-926-3250
  2575 Sand Hill Road                       fax:     1-(650)-926-2525
  Menlo Park, CA 94025 USA              www.slac.stanford.edu/~mpeskin/

Dear Colleagues:

As you know, P5 is underway, building upon the yearlong Snowmass process.  A public website (http://interactions.org/p5) provides news and information (including the charge and panel membership), links to meetings, and a portal for anyone in the community to submit written input.  Please have a look.

Each of the three public meetings had a Town Hall, and we’d now like to try something new: a Virtual Town Hall meeting, which will be held on 8 January starting at 16:00 UTC (8 AM Pacific, 9AM Mountain, 10AM Central, 11AM Eastern US) for up to 90 minutes, depending on interest.  We apologize to our colleagues working in Asia for the inconvenient time.

The Virtual Town Hall meeting is open to anyone working in particle physics.  For practical reasons, it is necessary to register to participate.  Please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P5VirtualTownHall8January2014  and register before 7 January.  (For those of you who want to listen but not speak, we would appreciate you registering anyway so we can estimate the number of required lines.  This isn’t required, but it would help us prepare for the meeting.  Thanks!)

As time is limited, and there likely are many issues to cover, each person will be given up to 3 minutes to speak.  All are welcome; however, if it becomes necessary to limit the number of speakers, preference will be given to those who who work in US-funded groups and were not able to attend one of the three previous Town Hall meetings. An important goal of this meeting is participation by younger colleagues and those working at CERN and at universities and labs not near the locations of the previous Town Hall meetings. To conserve connection lines, we ask people working together at institutions to gather when joining the meeting.  We will likely use ReadyTalk.  More information about how to connect will be sent to registrants and posted on the P5 public site soon.

The meeting will be recorded.

To help prepare for the meeting, and to provide some focus, here are some questions for you to consider addressing:

1) What are the most important issues, or aspects of the charge, for P5 to address, and how might P5 think about these?
2) Process: based on the agendas of the first three meetings, what topics might P5 be missing?  Are there any things P5 might do differently?
3) What do you think makes a great P5 report?
4) Given that not everything can receive sufficient priority to be funded, how can the community come together to support the P5 recommendations?
5) Anything else?

When you register, you will be asked which of these will be your primary topic (or select the “Not planning to speak, just listening” option).  Toward the end, if time permits, we will try opening up the meeting to discussion.

This is an experiment, but if it works well and there is interest we’d be happy to schedule another meeting at a later date.   Please consider joining us to express your thoughts and to listen to your colleagues working around the world.  We’re looking forward to an interesting meeting.

Best regards,

Ian Shipsey and Nick Hadley (DPF)
Steve Ritz (P5 chair)