Well, it doesn't happen to me. Please look at /afs/cern.ch/user/a/abh/xhead/amd64_linux26/src and use the xrdcp from there. Make sure to do ./xrd with the directory otherwise you will get the one /usr/bin which indeed has a problem. In that directory is cp.log which was created by src/xrdcp and it is clean. The cp-user-bin.log is the /usr/bin/xrdcp and it exhibits the problem. While I agree that something is wrong it doesn't look like it is the code. The acl was set for read access for Lukasz.