In order for the offline flag to be passed on from the server to the client the Dev.uuid should be 0 in file XrdXrootdStat.icc:83. But apparently this field is never set and therefore even if the buf.st_dev is 0, the offline flag is not set for the client to see.

The current behaviour in the Castor XRootD plugin is to pass on any information about the file from the Castor namespace if the file is online and to set all the bits in the st_mode field to 1 if it is offline. Therefore, in the example you showed above you should have also seen the offline flag - but it is not shown since the server does not set is properly.

I can leave the Castor XRootD implementation as is and one can test for the offline flag (when it is correctly passed on) or I can set only this flag when the file is offline.