FYI, I've done a bit of reading about Aria engine (my knowledge
about it to-date was mainly based on conversations with
Monty). It seems to me that Aria is probably not yet ready
for serious use, based on https://mariadb.com/kb/en/aria-faq/:
  * goal for current version: "keep the code stable and fix
    all found bugs."
  * next version is "on hold as the developers are focusing
    their main efforts on improving MariaDB"
  * ultimate goal is "to be a MyISAM replacement. This is
    possible because Aria can also be run in non-transactional
    mode, supports the same row formats as MyISAM, and supports
    or will support all major features of MyISAM."

At the same time https://mariadb.com/kb/en/myisam-storage-engine/
says

"You're encouraged to rather use the Aria storage engine for
new applications, which has even better performance and the
goal of being crash-safe."

I am going to run some tests with Aria. I'll keep you
posted what the conclusions are.

Jacek