Greetings -

I'm experimenting with log4cxx and qserv but have run into swig-related difficulties. After locally installing log4cxx within a qserv instance, I am able to use it without trouble in stand-alone programs. When I include calls to log4cxx within qserv, however, I receive the following error when attempting to start qserv_master:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/u1/bchick/sandbox2/mystuff/qserv/master/dist/startQserv.py", line 36, in <module>
    from lsst.qserv.master.appTest import TestAppFunctions
  File "/u1/bchick/src/mystuff/master/dist/lsst/qserv/master/__init__.py", line 26, in <module>
    from masterLib import *
  File "/u1/bchick/src/mystuff/master/dist/lsst/qserv/master/masterLib.py", line 25, in <module>
    _masterLib = swig_import_helper()
  File "/u1/bchick/src/mystuff/master/dist/lsst/qserv/master/masterLib.py", line 21, in swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_masterLib', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: /u1/bchick/src/mystuff/master/dist/lsst/qserv/master/_masterLib.so: undefined symbol: _ZTIN7log4cxx7helpers13ObjectPtrBaseE

For context, I made the following code changes (note: this version of qserv is pre- new modular layout). I added the following includes to the top of AsyncQueryManager.cc:

#include <log4cxx/logger.h>
#include <log4cxx/consoleappender.h>
#include <log4cxx/simplelayout.h>
#include <log4cxx/logmanager.h>

And added the following lines to the AsyncQueryManager::add() function:

log4cxx::LoggerPtr logger(log4cxx::Logger::getLogger("Qserv"));
LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, "EXECUTING AsyncQueryManager::add()")

And that's it. I believe the correctness of this code is beside the point. The problem appears to be that the log4cxx library, located within %QSERV_BASE_DIR%/lib is not being linked to.

I seem to be missing one or more steps in my attempt to incorporate a new library into qserv.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,
Bill