Tim,

I am sure you are right, it is just a visualization. Maybe just looking on projections
can help to understand better.

Regards, Stepan
On 3/10/14, 10:50 PM, Nelson, Timothy Knight wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Hi Stepan,

I don't think it's this complicated.  Rather, I think it's a simple bug in the visualization, based on other bugginess in how it works.  I've seen the maps, and they are reasonable and complete in both +/-z.

Jeremy, when you are back at work we can sit and talk... much easier than trying to explain in email.  However, your image (attached) shows the field ramping up correctly at about Z = -50 cm (in magnet coordinates, near the target at the right) and abruptly turning off above approximately Z = +30cm (near layer 5, 70cm downstream of the target, at the left).  Also note that no fringe field is shown at the downstream end (at the left).  This is obviously wrong!  I think the visualization is cutting off at some z, perhaps because at one extreme in x-y that is the largest z that is in the displayed view.

Perhaps you need to make some more images to clear this up.

Tim