I think the following should be done to cleanup the new tracking module:

1) Remove completely the kalman package and users code using it.  It is a fork of trf from lcsim.  GBL basically replaces this according to Pelle.

2) Rename classes that have an unnecessary “HPS” in front of them.  It seems a bit random which classes have this and which do not, and it isn’t needed, really.

3) Pull out classes from org.hps.tracking that are not part of the core reconstruction and put them in other modules, e.g. the appropriate package in analysis.

I will do #1 today, which I ran by Matt, who said it was okay.  This should have minimal impact.

The other ones are probably best done by someone else though I could do #2 if you want.  The main problem here could be breaking steering files but I have gotten pretty good at updating these using some scripting commands.

On the the #3 item, I would need some additional input to do this, as I don’t necessarily know what is a “core” class or not, so maybe Omar could do this.  Or he and I could look at this together at some point.

This probably seems like unnecessary work, but Omar wants to branch this module for his work on the updated conditions system vis-a-vis tracking code.  I want to make sure the module is cleaned up and in good shape before he does this, so that he can cleanly merge back his branch.  Because if anyone does any of this stuff or similar tasks after he branches, it will be a mess to try to merge back in due to renamed or deleted files, etc.  So now seems like the time.

Thoughts?

—Jeremy