Jacek,

	The general idea is that we should use terminology in the way it
is by the outside community.

> I heard epics are things that take longer than 2-3 weeks, and
> stories should be some smaller things: days to ~2-3 weeks long.

	It's not really about the time.  It's more that an epic is an
open-ended collection of stories, while each story should be
very clearly defined in terms of scope.  But, as Daniel says, epics
shouldn't be so open-ended that you don't know what belongs in them;
they should still produce some kind of useful result.

> But I was assured by both Mario and KT
> that we should have both stories and epics in qserv.

	You almost certainly should, unless you fully understand
everything you are going to be doing.

	Depending on how we run things, you may even want different
sprints.

> >Thinly veiled behind the jira switch is really a wholesale switch to
> >agile in terms of planning, organizing, and executing work. If we're not
> >switching, we should ignore epics and stories, no?

	Not thinly; this is an explicit desire.

> >"Qserv Design week II" sounds like it should be a label or a "story".
> >Probably a label. The things we want to treat and cover over the week
> >have their own lifetimes, with a specific thing we hope to accomplish
> >during qdw2. i.e., For DM-56, the task for qdw2 might be "evaluate
> >current css implementation and integration".

	The first thing that comes to my mind is that this might make
sense as a different sprint (which would need its own board, separate
from the DM Software Development board).

> >>I took liberty to come up with a few "epics", and now it is
> >>time to get your opinion (including K-T's!) if that makes
> >>sense... it is basically:
> >>    - hackathon
> >>    - major refactoring of all qserv code (it is a big one!)

	I'd probably break this down into refactoring of individual
components, or, if cross-component integration is important, break it
down into testable pieces.

> >>    - fully automated testbed
> >>    - logging
> >>    - configuration

	These seem OK if they really are going to take a long time or
are not fully understood yet.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]