I think I am going to convert some tasks to stories, so if
you wonder why I am reorganizing things in jira again, wonder
no more...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: story points and technical tasks
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:14:24 -0700
From: Kian-Tat Lim <[log in to unmask]>
To: Becla, Jacek <[log in to unmask]>
CC: Mario Juric <[log in to unmask]>

Jacek,

> Observation: I was going to break stories into tasks, and often
> different tasks from the same story would be assigned to different
> people.

	As they say, "there's your problem".  A story should be
something that is owned by a single person who can commit to delivering
it by a certain time.  If it involves multiple people, it probably
shouldn't be a story.

> But, story points can only be assigned to stories, not to
> technical tasks. So, either we should forget using story points,
> or I will need to turn many of tasks into stories. Some tasks
> are relatively small (say a day, or sometimes shorter).

	I don't think there's a problem with having short stories.  Many
bug fixes will be short, for example.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]