ciao andrew, understood & it makes sense, thanks.
But then. I need a different solution for stageout.
As you explained to me here,

all.manager meta all xrootd.infn.it+ 1213  (probably wrong since gmail is
playing with the text, but nevermind ... it is what you wrote ;)

needs xrootd.infn.it to be the list of all possible redirectors, regardless
of their state. Fine.

On the other hand, for CMSSW fallback I need to specify something like

if file /store/file.root not locally available --> try root://
xrootd.infn.it//store/file.root

in this case, instead, I want xrootd.infn.it to resolve only to those
redirectors which are _currently_ ok, right?

then I am afraid I need 2 DNS aliases

- xrootd-fulllist.infn.it : the machines which are installed as redirector,
from which nagios never removes anything
- xrootd.infn.it : the subset of the previous with only currently working
redirectors, to be used in the fallback statement.

Is this correct?

thanks again!

tom

--