On Friday, March 28, 2014, Andrew Hanushevsky <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Tommaso & Marian,

I apologize that we didn't get a prompt response back. Somehow this slipped through the cracks. So, let me intersperse my answers in the text below.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014, Tommaso Boccali wrote:

ok, but what happens if a site restarts its cmsd when the redirector points
just to one redirector (because the other is off)?
when the second redirector comes back in the DNS list, will the site pick
it up or not?
When a site restarts it's cmsd when one of the redirectors is off.

uhm, not sure I was explaining correctly myself in first place.

Let's say we prepare 2 regional redirectors, 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2, and we punt them in the DNS as xrootd.infn.it (no round robin: "host xrootd.infn.it" will return 2 IP addresses).
Since we want to use xrootd.infn.it as fallback, we plan to have a nagios test which checks 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 periodically, and in case one is NOT ok, it is removed from the DNS.

So, question was:
let's say that site ABCD needs to restart the xrootd local servers, which are configured as

all.manager meta all xrootd.infn.it+ 1213

what happens if AT THE RESTART MOMENT xrootd.infn.it only resolves  to 1.1.1.1 (since eventually 2.2.2.2 is broken)? And even more, what if 2 hours later 2.2.2.2 enters again the DNS resolution for xrootd.infn.it (since it recovered and the nagios realized)? Has the cmsd running at site ABCD a way to recognize that the # of IPs served by xrootd.infn.it has changed, and hence consider also 2.2.2.2 as a manager?

When all is used, all traffic marked to go to the one that is offline is shifted to a particular redirector that is still working. When that redirector comes back online the traffic is shifted back as it would have been had the redirector been online at the time of restart.

When any is used, all traffic marked to go to that redirector, if any, is shifted to another working redirector. When that redirector comes back online the traffic is normally shifted back to that redirector if it was the redirector of choice (i.e. the one originally chosen to receive all of the traffic).