Mean chisq/DOF is 0.56 for 3-pole, 0.68 for double-Gaussian.

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~meeg/ecalpulsefit/3pole/rchisq.png

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~meeg/ecalpulsefit/2gaus/rchisq.png

I think that in every fit the 2-Gaussian shape overestimates the rising
edge; 3-pole looks better. As Andrea says, the pulse peak is definitely
better fit by 3-pole.