I wanted to make sure that the task of using the new database conditions in ECAL software is clear.

As I see it, this is basically what needs to be done:

1) Branch the ecal-recon and ecal-readout-sim nodes in SVN.

2) Find all calls in these modules to old the ECAL conditions class (e.g. these are now in conditions.deprecated.ECalConditions in the conditions module).

3) Put in a side-by-side call to the new conditions system at this point in the code.

4) Run the recon and/or readout to see that the old and new values match each other.  They should literally be exactly the same, as I've ported the text conditions to the current cond db.

5) Comment out / remove the old code and use the new method.

6) When #2-5 are complete and one is convinced that everything is working the same as before, merge the two modules back into the trunk.

7) Before commiting the merge changes (merge does not do an automatic commit), fix up code in other packages that is calling the old conditions system.

8) Check that everything works (again) and then commit the merge to the trunk.

9) Remove the old conditions classes and resource files from the trunk.

If someone is going to tackle this problem, it would be good that I know who this is so I can help with the branching, especially.

This series of changes should not be put piecemeal into the trunk, as it would likely be too disruptive and could introduce errors, e.g. for the MDC analysis.

A proper TestCase (or three) is probably essential here to making this a managable task.

Let me know if there are any questions or comments about this (replying to this mailing list is fine).

--Jeremy