Hm. Corefile would be quite difficult because:
1) CMS compiles Xrootd without symbols or debuginfo. I'd have to ask for a special software release.
2) The analysis framework I'm using to submit jobs doesn't save corefiles (and this only happens at .1-1% of jobs and only when errors occur, so I need to run at large scale. Can't reproduce by hand).

So, at best, it'll be a week before I can get a corefile (especially since I'm traveling 6 of the next 10 working days :( ).

I'm guessing the combination of "segfault in deleting the URL while running recovery and closing a file" doesn't narrow things down enough?