I think this might be occurring because you are trying to initialize a physics list when the state is "idle" which means that all initialization must have already happened.  In other words, the physics list can only be set in the "preinit" stage before Geant4 has initialized the geometry, physics engine, etc.

You can try setting this instead using the associated command line argument, which should automatically use the right initialization ordering for creating the physics list.  Or if you want to do it from a macro, then you should do all other initialization there like the geometry setup, and then manually have a line that does "/control/initialize" when the setup is done, so that you control the ordering of when the simulation initializes.  Mixing the command line arguments and macros can lead to these types of problems.  It is generally best to use mostly one approach or the other in your jobs when possible.

--Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holly Vance
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 10:16 AM
To: hps-software
Subject: Local SLIC Physics Lists

Hi,

I am running events on a local install of SLIC, but I cannot load physics lists. Do I need to point to a place some how to find these lists? If I try to set it by the command line in my macro I get an error and when I request that it print out all available lists, there are none. I tried setting a -P option to the particle.tbl, but I am still getting the same error:

***** Illegal application state </physics/select QGSP_BERT> *****

--
Respectfully,
Holly