I have some random thoughts and suggestions about using the Jira which I wanted to share with everyone.

1) When creating a new task, make sure all of the following are assigned and accurate:

-Type

New work should be "Improvements" or "New Feature" and bugs/errors are "Bug".  This is important for being able to distinguish between errors/problems with existing code vs new work that needs to be done.

-Description

Make this something that is descriptive, like a full sentence, that includes a verb like "implement" etc.  Something like "ECal calibration" is maybe not so great because it doesn't clearly indicate anything that should actually be done.

-Due Date

If there is a known date by which the task should or must be completed, definitely assign it here, even if there is an error on it.  We have not been so great about this, and I think the due dates should be reviewed for all existing items.  (Maurik?  Stuart?)

-Components

Assign every relevant component here that applies to the task.  This is very important for component leads to keep track of work that is nominally assigned to them.  Using multiple components is fine and expected for certain types of tasks, e.g. an SVT reconstruction task should be assigned both the "Reconstruction" and "SVT" components.  (There's one for "Tracking" too just to maximize redundancy!)

-Affects and Fix Versions

For the time being we assign "Affects Version" as 3.0.2 which is actually HPS Java 3.0.2-SNAPSHOT and "Fix Version" as 3.2 by convention.  In the future, we should be more rigorous with this one, and I'll try to communicate better about it.  Basically, there will always be a current version to which all new items are assigned and a fix version.  The fix version is "rolling" in that if the release is made and the task is not completed, it will automatically be assigned the next release number.

-Description

It is good to be verbose here and include all the relevant details so someone could theoretically start work on the item without further input.  in the past, some of the items have been overly vague.

2) When working on a specific item, do indicate this.

Press the "Start Progress" button on an item to indicate you are working on it.  Usage here (including by myself) has been haphazard, but I think this is a very useful way to track who is doing what at what time.  Then press "Stop Progress" on it if you have stopped working on it.  This is actually pretty simple and will allow anyone watching your work to tell what is going on.

3) Do close out items when completed.

If a task is done, close it out as "Fixed" and write a short description indicating any relevant details in the Description box.

4) Do add new items for software tasks you are working on that are not in the Jira.

This is especially useful for being able to tell what changes went into which releases.  Most importantly, bugs that are fixed should have tasks assigned to them even if you immediately close them out.

5) Do comment on tasks that you are working on.

This provides others with updates and is also a good way to keep track of your own work if you are juggling multiple tasks.

6) Feel free to change items that you are working on.

If you start working on an item and any of the items detailed under #1 are inaccurate or incomplete, then you should feel free to modify the existing item so that it is more correct and complete.

7) Do use the Jira.

If only a few people in our group are using this system regularly, it is of limited benefit.  Please do not be afraid of "messing things up" or doing the wrong thing here.  Any mistakes are easily corrected.

Thanks!

--Jeremy