Something I have been noticing....

There are many Drivers in the HPS Java project that have me listed as the author:

@author Jeremy McCormick <[log in to unmask]>

But I am NOT in fact the author of them.

This is proabably due to copying and pasting entire Drivers when making a new one, including the class comments.

At least if you are going to copy and paste an entire file (not usually a good idea anyways), then please change the author statement so that I or someone else is not erroneously listed as the creator of the new class.  I would appreciate if everyone went and put the correct author statements on their classes in the SVN for classes that already exist.  (Pretty please.)

And that brings me to another point, which is *please do not make it your default way of working to copy and paste entire, existing classes into new files.*

Instead, you should prefer subclassing, making small modifications and improvements to classes so that they do what you want (hopefully without breaking them), or simply authoring what you need from scratch.

If there is some piece of code that does most, but not all of what you want, then get in touch with the author and explain the situation so that their code can be improved rather than forked and modified.  Or bring it up at a software meeting or this software list.

I know that people tend to do this in order to avoid possible disruption and introduction of errors by modifying existing classes.  But every single file in the SVN has all of its revisions stored so if you break something, fixing it is easy by either reverting it or making a bug fix to correct whatever problems come up.

But dealing with the mess created by having parallel, slightly (or very) different versions of classes created in the above fashion is not at all easy to fix.

I think there's a possible exception here, which is that putting copied classes in your "users" area is not so bad, in that it is assumed that is for scratch or experimental work.

Thanks.  Apologies for taking up your time if none of this applies to you.

--Jeremy