Hello Holly,

Perhaps Jeremy can comment on the random engine being used.

I only know of a flaw in the CLHEP::RanecuEngine, which is used by GEANT4. The flaw is that for very different seeds the engine will give the exact same sequence. The periodicity of the engine (i.e. starting with one seed, how long before the sequence repeats) is huge, as it is for all the CLHEP random engines. So on a single run, with a single seed, you should NOT see any repeat or pattern in this engine. I alerted Lynn Garren of this flaw back in 2010 and they were going to look into it, but never heard anything since. Best to avoid that particular engine.

There are many other things that can cause a pattern like the one you are seeing. One possibility is that there is some subtle effect in roundoff. Are the cosmics coming from a single point good distance from the ECAL, and could it thus be numerical limits on the accuracy of the angles? Something like that?

Best,
Maurik