Daniel,

> I would like to push for not generating any config files for qserv
> services during setup or installation. Instead, we create a template
> qserv.conf.in, that is human-editable. When trying to start any
> service (czar, worker, proxy, mysql?, etc.), the startup script
> reads that qserv.conf.in and generates the configuration for that
> particular service, logs it in the appropriate file, and starts it.
> If we do this, the services should almost always be consistently
> configured (or will be, after a process kill/restart).

	I like this, except perhaps for the human-editable part.  For
consistency across the cluster of machines, the meta-configuration needs
to either be in a single shared repository or distributed in read-only
form (the original source can be read/write).

	The other issue that comes to mind is this: if the
meta-configuration is updated, is there a way to determine which
underlying Qserv services need to be kicked/restarted, or do they all
need to be?  One possible mechanism is to regenerate the config file,
check it against the current version, and leave the process alone if
nothing has changed.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]