Jacek,

	Within the eups framework you have to decide if you want to run
from your build directory or an installed directory.  The former is more
convenient (but will probably require changing the Qserv build process a
little bit); the latter is better for provenance and repeatability.

	You also have to decide if you want total safety (rebuild all
configuration and data files on update) or convenience (reuse an
existing instance).  I think you always have to stop the existing
instance and start a new one.  But it may be possible to have the new
one reuse the configuration and data of the old one.

	What I think you want is this:

# Assume Qserv configuration/instance in ~/run/qserv
qserv-stop.sh ~/run/qserv
# Assume Qserv source git clone in ~/repo/qserv
cd ~/repo/qserv
eupspkg -er build
eupspkg -er install
eupspkg -er decl -C
setup qserv
qserv-start.sh ~/run/qserv
# and now finally I can run the query that causing troubles
mysql --protocol TCP --port 4040 -A LSST -e "my query"

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]