The other crash is the case where the response arrives before the receiving handler could have been installed. In which case, the message is buffered and processed as a whole, as opposed to being read directly from the socket. While this is theoretically possible (this is why I wrote this code and why it happens) I haven't seen this happening before (this is probably why there is a bug).