Daniel,

> Is there a way to require a particular version though? Let's say
> that, months later, I want to test a qserv release that needs the
> new xrootd. So I can eups distrib install qserv <some version> and
> have it pull the newer xrootd and have things work?

	As mentioned, the distribution server records exact versions of
all packages and dependencies.  So your <some version> of the qserv
package will have the new version of xrootd built into its manifest and
will install that version (if it is not already available).
Furthermore, we typically tag installed packages, including all of their
dependencies, and those tags are also installed during "distrib
install" to make it easy to setup an entire consistent distribution.

> And then, eups distrib install qserv <some older version> and have it
> automatically pull an older xrootd? And then switch back and forth?

	The "distrib install" of the older version will install (or
verify) the older versions of the dependencies.

	Tags enable you to easily switch back and forth between the
installed versions in your stack.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]