Serge,

> If there were, we could just use it for objectId queries as well. This
> is tempting to me, except that I think the partitioner needs something
> like a central “objectId" -> chunk mapping unless we force people to
> supply an associated object position for all partitioned tables.

	It doesn't necessarily need to be central -- we could spray the
list of objectIds to the workers and have each check its own chunk(s).

> And if we need it for the partitioner, we might as well take advantage
> on the czar. Once we are there, it does not seem like a big stretch to
> allow using the same sorts of indexes on columns other than the PK of
> the director table.

	True.

	I think you're right that the per-chunk overhead is always going
to be too big.  Too bad, though -- MySQL has indexes down in the
workers, but we can't use them very effectively.  On top of that, I
don't think there's much of a way to compress the in-memory
representation of the objectId (or secondary) index.  Maybe a Bloom
filter?

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]