Assuming that a certificate can mean either the Buildbot build number or the lsst-build packageBuild number, this capability already exists but is not released.

The user would initiate a web-based 'Forced-build' and provide, as web-form input, the series of branches to be used during the build.  In general this would be the set of 'tickets/DM-#' on which the modifications were made.  The users would need to note the *next* Buildbot build # in sequence to provide as the certificate. Alternately, the user would need to examine the end of the run's Buildbot log to provide the lsst_build build number -- if the build was successful.

I can now see that in this situation explicit notification to the user on either successful or failure would be useful. At the moment,  Buildbot only notifies on error and even for errors it was planned to send the notification only, but more globally, to [lsst-data].

Let me know if someone wants to beta-test this process. I'll capture a few screens to demonstrate the process and jump-start the documentation as soon as the stash source repository (yes, some DM source has already migrated there) returns to service along with the rest of the Atlassian tools.

Robyn

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Kian-Tat Lim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Fabrice (and others):
> I think we could define a procedure to publish and install ticket
> branch from distserver. This would allow easier reviewing ?

        For reviews, it's not strictly necessary for the reviewer to
build the code.  We should have buildbot do that; the person asking for
the review should be able to provide a buildbot "certificate".  But I
also think that buildbot should automatically publish successful builds
in the distserver.

        (This applies to both Qserv and the main LSST Stack.  Hopefully
I won't have to distinguish between the two for much longer.)

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]