From: Fabrice Jammes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:42 AM
To: Salnikov, Andrei A.
Cc: qserv-l
Subject: Re: [QSERV-L] (DM-742) Use geom eups package for installing geometry

Hi Andy,

Thanks for DM-751 fix, I've read your algorithm and I think it strenghten a lot boost libs detection.
(I think that sconsUtils solves also this problem as it provides to the build script the name of the eups package libs, but integrating
sconsUtils with Qserv scons script would be a complex job.)

Thanks also for your remark about tabs I inadvertently insert in my code. I use several machines to develop and, indeed, I have to be carefull about my vi configuration on all of these.
Please note that your DM-751 fix also introduced trailing-whitespaces in site_scons/detect.py. Maybe we should have a common pre-commit script to check our formatting is correct ?

About point 3, I mainly agree with you. The method you described is fine when no Qserv dependencies are impacted. But please note that for DM-742 this method would have been quite complex. Indeed, in  addition to Qserv, geom package had also to be setup from its own git repos (branch u/fjammes/DM-742), I should have specified this in the ticket comment. Nevertheless, I think that it's a good thing to run from scratch the whole install process, in peculiar when dependencies are impacted, but i'm not sure this is the reviewer job. For your information, Mario told me it should be possible to allow other lsst-dev users to easilly publish on Qserv distserver.

Cheers,

Fabrice