Hi Tommaso,

From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tommaso Boccali
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 11:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">xrootd/xrootd
Cc: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">xrootd-dev
Subject: Re: [xrootd] xrootd fallback only populates "tried" for one redirector (#124)

Ciao, on the CMS-Eu redirectors I implemented as explained here:
we have 2 redirectors (xrootd.ba.infn.it and xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it), under DNS RR xrootd-cms.infn.it

Now redirectors' configs read

all.role manager

The known managers

all.manager xrootd-cms.infn.it+ 1213
all.manager meta any cms-xrd-global.cern.ch+ 1098

which I understand is the advised solution. What I see is strange.
if I do something like

xrdcp -d 3 root://xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it//store/test/xrootd/T2_ES_IFCA/store/mc/SAM/GenericTTbar/GEN-SIM-RECO/CMSSW_5_3_1_START53_V5-v1/0013/CE4D66EB-5AAE-E111-96D6-003048D37524.root .

and I look into the logs, I see this goes
xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it:1094 -> xrootd.ba.infn.it:1213 ALWAYS
(so indeed xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it:1213 does not seem to be serving files at all).
If I switch off xrootd.ba.infn.it:1213, xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it:1213 starts to serve files, but as soon as I start again xrootd.ba.infn.it:1213, the latter gets all the traffic.

>>>Well, I am still confused. As none of the examples use xrootd-cms.infn.it as the target I don’t know what is going on. Going directly to “redic” goes directly to that.

I tried with things like

all.manager any/all xrootd-cms.infn.it+ 1213

(never really understood the difference any/all, my fault ...), but this does not seem to change the picture

>>>There is now a good explanation of all/any in the manual (see link at the end). However, it has nothing to do with clients so specifying all or any will have no effect on client access.

eventually, on xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it cmsd.log I see traffic (with
grep serving cmsd.log
) only when the other cmsd is down ... is this expected? is there a way to make sure

all.manager xrootd-cms.infn.it+ 1213

balances the cmsd calls between RR-DNS hosts?

>>>DNS RR is immaterial here. The above directive simply says that your data servers have two managers (redic and ba) and they will subscribe to both. A client needs to access these redirectors via the higher level name (xrootd-cms) to get access to one or the other. The choice is random and the load would be uniformly distributed to each of the xrootd front-ends across all of the clients. In turn, those xrootd-front ends subscribe to the cmsd back ends (one on redic the other on ba). If you specify “all” then the xrootd front-ends will distribute the load across the two cmsd back ends. The default, any, uses a simple fail-over model (as you saw). The concept is described here:

http://xrootd.org/doc/dev4/cms_config.htm#_Toc384307771

Andy