ciao Andy!

- I am pinging directly to xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it (and not to the DNS RR)
since I did not modify the other copy. did not want to risk too much here
(for the reason I am trying to explain below)

I have a doubt about the picture you sent via the link. It makes sense only
if all cmsd and xrootd are equal. In our setup (with ~40 sites connected),
we had before only xrootd.ba.infn.it as redir. Now we asked the sites to
move to xrootd-cms.infn.it, but after two weeks ~ 50% of the sites moved (a
lot of inertia, but it is difficult to go and twist arms ...).

so let's suppose
- xrootd.ba.infn.it has 50 servers registered in cmsd
- xroot-redic.pi.infn.it has 30.

what would happen if
xrootd.ba.infn.it:1094 -> xrootd-redic.pi.infn.it:1213 (which can happen if
I put as manager for xrootd.ba.infn.it the DNS RR...) ?
the cmsd would not have all the servers registered, and hence fail can fail
on a file? it can even be ok if fail means go up to the global redirector,
and then down to xrootd.ba.infn.it:1213 (even if at this point a random EU
or US site would be used).

So, how if the picture changing if the cmsd cannot be considered identical
as # of connected servers?

I know the correct answer would be "force them to change", but .... ok, I
guess you understand ;)

thanks a lot

tom

--