I have reproduced with the imposters. This is what happens:

The new client works as expected, but that's probably not really what we want. It goes from FNAL to global to IHEP redirector to IHEP disk server. It fails at the disk server, it goes back to global adding the **disk server** to tired CGI, it gets back to IHEP redirector where it gets: "No servers have read access to the file" since the disk server that has the file is excluded by "tried". It should probably add the whole chain from load balancer to failing server to the tried CGI, or should it? I am not quite sure. I would probably opt for marking everything from the disk server up to the first encountered manager? Any opinions?

When using the old client the whole CGI gets lost. It's not hugely complicated to fix, but not trivial either because, to properly do it, I would have to add functionality to track whole redirection chains. Currently the old client tracks  only the last connection. It's probably not worth it.

---
https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/132#issuecomment-51596447