Hello Pelle,

I just rebuild a fresh install of SLIC from scratch, using the Qt libraries.

The startup time seems to depend hugely on the geometry that you load. I seem to recall this has to do with loading the GDML and some of the verifications that go on when you load it. If you load the geometry: HPS-Proposal2014-v8-6pt6, which appears to not have all the flanges for the ECAL, then the startup time into interactive SLIC is about 20 seconds.
On the other hand, the geometry: HPS-Proposal2014-v7-2pt2, takes forever to load.

There may be ways to optimize the ECAL flange geometry in a way that it loads quicker when loading it from GDML. I know that the identical geometry loads in seconds with GEMC, where the geometry is rendered directly from instructions from a text file.

I am a bit worried if we are leaving out carefully constructed geometry from version 8 because it loads slowly. This geometry is correct and was carefully constructed from the drawing by Holly, and I made some minor modifications to turn it into valid GDML. Perhaps one of our GEANT4 experts can comment on why the GDML loads so slowly?

Best,
	Maurik