You may have noticed that I have started a major re-organization of the software pages on the Confluence.

I would like to solicit some input here from everyone on this...

In what areas are we most lacking in software documentation?

What have new users had the most trouble with when starting out?

What does everyone think of the new structure that I have created for the "Computing and Software" pages?  Is it too complicated?  Is it clear where new content should be located?  Does the tree structure make sense or should it be different?

After looking at basically every page under the software section, I think we are lacking documentation on the following topics.

1) How the full reconstruction and simulation toolchain works from a "high level" view, what tools are required for it, and what steps are required for a given task.  I think there should be a list of "recipes" that people can follow to accomplish a given task.

2) How to write an LCSim analysis Driver which looks at reconstructed LCIO data.

3) How to write a ROOT analysis script that uses the DSTs.

4) Best practices and tips for code development (in Java), including working with SVN, Java code style conventions, do's and don'ts, etc.

5) Instructions for making an HPS Java release via Jenkins and related tasks such as managing release numbers in Jira.

6) Overview of the Jenkins continuous build system and it can be used to monitor the builds.

7) Instructions for using Jira, including how to submit a proper bug report.

That's just what comes to mind offhand.  There's probably a lot of other stuff we should include, too.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks are the priorities here and where we really need to add content that is lacking.

I am planning on adding a lot of new content myself, but of course this is a collaborative effort.  I may be "nagging" various people directly to contribute in the near future.  :)

Thanks!

--Jeremy