It seems like there are a bunch of people trying to generate/simulate their own MC from scratch and running into a lot of problems.  This isn’t that surprising as it’s complicated and it’s really meant to be “expert only”.  This is why we have a production manager who’s job it is to produce MC (and data, when we get it).

There are a few good reasons for someone to generate their own events (see below), most MC should be produced and stored locally at JLAB by the PM.  If the benefits of this aren’t obvious, I’ll spell them out:

We have a bunch of trident MC (with & w/o truth) on tape at JLAB right now (recon lcio & DST) and will soon start with the “A’ signal” at various masses.  If you want a specific sample generated, just send an email to the PM (Sho, for now) and me (Matt) with this information:

We may have some kindly suggestions based on your request but we’ll try to accommodate.

Thanks, Matt

****   Reasons you may want to generate your own MC include:  playing around with detector geometries (e.g. alignment studies); testing out new sources of events (e.g. cosmic ray generator) prior to it being submitted for production, etc.