Thanks - I think it is a combination of problems. The 'malloc' was indeed part of it. I preloaded jemalloc when running the client and the memory issue represented by: "Warning: set address range perms: large range" and growing utilization is gone. I can now read large number of files without a problem as long as they all come from the same data server. However, if I access files spread over a few servers, I then get either the bad_alloc error or, more often,

Xrd: PhyConnection: Can't run reader thread: out of system resources. Critical error.

This seems to point to a thread limit as the memory appears stable. I see the maxproc limit is different on the two systems: 256 for the problem system, Carver, and 1024 for the one that works, PDSF. When I tried monitoring that late yesterday, I only witnessed 5 threads being spawned. I'll double check that and check further with the admins to come up with more diagnostics.

{"@context":"http://schema.org","@type":"EmailMessage","description":"View this Issue on GitHub","action":{"@type":"ViewAction","url":"https://github.com/xrootd/xrootd/issues/142#issuecomment-57478088","name":"View Issue"}}