Hi Jeremy,

Sorry for my slow reply.

> Is the scintillator (PMT?) state/data available in the converted LCSim events?  Or is it currently being ignored now and not converted?  I know in the EVIO to LCIO converter it says the channels don’t exist.  From my very basic understanding of things, the PMT data is needed for cutting events from the sample.

Sho did write a driver to read the PMT channels.  It is likely possible to get by
without them in offline analysis, but we are currently using them to cleanup
the cosmic signals.  How much effect it has in the end I'm not sure; maybe
thresholds and geometric cuts on the calorimeter render offline offline PMT
cuts irrelevant.

> Is the trigger data needed/useful for doing this analysis?  If so, is it being properly converted to LCSim yet?

I do not know the answer the second question, but there are currently two possible
triggers in our cosmic data, a 1Hz pulser and ~5Hz cosmic, in the TI bank (57610):

0x20010003
0x10010003

I've not noticed their "AND" in the data; maybe it would be a 3 in that last hex digit.
I'm not aware of anyone using them currently, and its highly likely that offline cuts
on PMT pulse integrals make the trigger bits not important.  But that was one thing to
do before finalizing cosmic gains: cut on trigger.  I copied below an email from Ben.

> How has the analysis, if any, been done thus far?  If there is any code in C and/or ROOT with algorithms that can be easily ported?

Just a reminder, the C-code I am using to convert evio to ROOT ntuples, and
some followup analysis on the ntuples, is below.  But I guess you are looking for
something else.  Holly has something more sophisticated regarding geometrical
cuts.

/home/baltzell/EvioTool/EvioTool_Test/AnaEcal.cc
/home/baltzell/a.C

> What sigma is a good cut for trying to pick out a MIP/cosmic signal from the pedestal + noise?  I think Nathan said 10 ADC here from my understanding, but would this make more sense as a function of sigma * N, where sigma measures noise fluctuation?

A global ADC threshold of 10 was chosen because it is just over 3-RMS noise for
the majority of channels while still less than cosmic signal.  The two are not much
different, and whether it is "good" is subjective.  But it is definitely sufficient when
combined with other cuts.

> Also, is anyone else working on analysis of this data in the Java framework or planning to do it?  I would be interested in participating/collaborating on this, if so.

Probably everyone intends to analyze HPS data in the Java framework.  Time is tight,
and with all the flux in data format etc, just because some people are working outside
that framework for now should not imply anything otherwise!

Happy Holidays,
Nathan