Yes, I did look at the patch. I certainly believe that memory_order_relaxed generates the same code and I suppose I sort of believe that consume/release would generate the same code on practically all architectures if you have faith in the C++11 reference that tells you that is the case. Then again, there has been at least one instance where a compiler didn't generate the same code to the dismay of a lot of people. Also, consume/release do impact optimization around the operation so the final results will likely vary over time. Let me think about this.