Figured it out!

libXrdClient is also loaded (for unrelated reasons, but we can't get rid of it). This forces IPv4-only.

Accordingly, after all is loaded and before we invoke any Xrootd calls, we already set:

env->PutString("NetworkStack", "IPAuto");

However, that seems to put the client in a semi-inconsistent state. I had to next manually call:

XrdNetUtils::SetAuto(XrdNetUtils::prefAuto);

This corrects the getaddrinfo flags used in XrdNetUtils so IPv6 addresses are returned.