This is not an issue in XrdNetUtils it's because in XrdNetAddr was put in IPv4-only mode and XrdNetUtils uses it to create the IP address list. XrdNetAddr was told that the application does not support IPv6, which it doesn't. So, it's behaving exactly the way it should. The issue here is that for some unbeknown reason (and I suspect that Alice is doing the same) the XrdClient shared library is either linked with XrdCl or (as in CMS) is being dlopened. That is enough to trigger IPv4-only mode as, I would maintain, is correct because that library can only work with IPv4. I can't help the fact that doing this puts the code in a catch-22 situation. This is not trivial to solve. What you are asking is that the code miraculously determines that what is being done is stupid and makes it "right".

The best I can do right now is to move the IPv4 setting to the code that actually creates the old client environment instead of being with the code that installs the fork handler. That, of course, assumes that the environment is not created by some other static initializer, which means a bit of testing.