    In C++, the return code is not a part of function's signature,
therefore, in principle, it may be changed. Especially if it's from void
to non-void, because all the "legacy" callers did not expect anything to
be returned, so changing nothing to something should not matter.
However, after some googling, people seem to see some callstack
corruptions that may be related to this kind of change, so I would try
it first on all supported platforms.

Cheers,
    Lukasz