> Hi,
>
>> The security extractor enables clients with VOMS proxy certificates to connect. For normal client user certificates you
>> don't need it.
>
> Ah, right, I think I get it. So if I'm using an ordinary user cert (in a browser for instance) the XrdHTTP server does the authentication without the sec extractor.

  Yes, correct

> Can it do any authorisation?

  The authorization is performed by any XrdAcc your server is configured with.

  What XrdHTTP does is just to fill an internal structure with the client credentials
and then forward it to the rest of the framework.

> From the email (https://listserv.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1410&L=XROOTD-L&D=0&P=632) last month it looks like you were waiting for the grid mapfile feature to be added.

  I was waiting for it to be made available in the xrootd framework, as it was a sort of 'private' thing
of the xrootd protocol implementation.
  That was done, and I have provided XrdHTTP with the capability of using it.

  XrdHTTP honors the mapfile that you provide to it.

>> Your config file looks fine to me, and the only error that I see in the log is
>> 141126 10:38:47 8292 ofs_opendir: unnamed.1:[log in to unmask] Unable to open directory /dteam/; permission
>> denied
>>From this I am not able to tell whether the request was denied by some authorization module in ofs, libRadosOss or
>> anything else.
>> Could you please restart the server with the -d option and redo this little read test?
>> Which credentials is your test client using to do the test ? User cert? VOMS proxy?
>
> Right, so that test was me pointing my browser with my user cert loaded at the XrdHTTP server and hoping some VOMS magic would happen.

  That VOMS magic may happen only if you have a proper mapfile recognizing your DN.

> I now realise that is not how it works (I think). I got davix-get working with my voms proxy cert (I confirmed it on your littlexrdhttp server),

  Were you able to spot your VOMS roles in the HTML strings it returns?

> and then tried it on mine (with the -d option and the security extractor loaded). As far as I could see the server showed no signs or recognising my proxy cert:

> The command I used was:
>
> davix-get -k -E /tmp/x509up_u33141 https://gdss541.gridpp.rl.ac.uk:1094/

  My impression is that it's behaving as if no XrdHTTPVOMS was loaded, and it's not allowing me to connect with my proxy.
  You should see some related log lines in the startup phase. Could you please post the log of the startup phase ?

> I've attached the log. The " 140350031914752:error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line:pem_lib.c:703:Expecting: CERTIFICATE" bit looks fishy to me, but I don't know what the logs from a successful davix-get look so I could be looking in the wrong place entirely.

  You're looking at the right place, and indeed they are fishy. This is the behavior without VOMS extractor when a client
provides a proxy.

> Thanks for the help, are there any other tests I can run that might make things clearer?

  Yes, please post the startup phase of the server (with the -d switch). In the meantime I am refurbishing littlexrdhttp,
because I had a version from September, and many things have changed since that moment.

Fabrizio