I agree with Norman that it is absolutely essential that all hits
associated with a cluster are passed along in the output information
(shared hits included).

I think Sho's suggestion is indeed natural, and I will look into this.

Actually, since I store the shared hits in the cluster hit list and in a
shared hit list, the online monitoring can access the shared hit list
associated with a cluster and illustrates these crystals with a different
color (they still highlight for both associate clusters). Ok, this is a
feature in HPSEcalClusterIC so maybe not LCIO....

The clustering code sets the energy of the cluster with this weighting and
this is what is read back into the event display so this is not a problem
either (displays correct cluster energy).

Shared hits are important as there is not necessarily a way to distinguish
with certainty if a common hit belongs to a particular cluster (entirely).
The use of common/shared hits is a part of clustering algorithms such as
the Inner Calorimeter and Alice (as well as others that are documented).
It's important for HPS to preserve this feature even if it is not occurring
in most events.

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.

-Holly