I just made a huge number of changes in LCSim and HPS Java to fix a “behind the scenes” mess related to CalorimeterHit classes, HPSCalorimeterHit, setting of LCMetaData on hits, etc.  I think things are in better shape now but I had to touch a lot of stuff to do this.

If you have a lot of local changes in your working copy, there might be conflicts now, and you should not clobber my changes.  You’re going to want to ‘svn up’ to get my changes first into your lcsim/trunk and hps/java/trunk and then hand merge your changes back in if there are conflicts.

By the way, our custom CalorimeterHit class HPSCalorimeterHit has been completely removed, and it was made unnecessary by improvements and fixes to some of the classes in LCSim.  The BaseCalorimeterHit behavior has been made more reasonable so it will find a DetectorElement using the ID like HPSCalorimeterHit had implemented.

If you need to create CalorimeterHit objects in your ECAL code, from now on please use the fully qualified base constructor for BaseCalorimeterHit or the new CalorimeterHitUtilities class in the ecal-recon package which has several convenience methods for creating CalorimeterHit objects.

All code in LCSim and HPS Java was updated with these changes, and all the tests passed successfully.  So I promise that I (probably) didn’t break your code!

—Jeremy