-----Original Message-----
From: McCormick, Jeremy I.
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2015 4:47 PM
To: 'Holly Vance'
Cc: 'Kyle McCarty'; Uemura, Sho
Subject: HPSEcalCluster

Hi,

Please do not add any more usages of HPSEcalCluster or HPSEcalClusterIC to our code base, if at all possible.

The problem here is that this specific type is never persisted.  Only the Cluster.class type is known to LCIO.

So Driver code like this will break whenever an LCIO file is read back in for analysis...

event.get(HPSEcalCluster.class, "clusters");

Also, as you probably know, none of the extra information added to HPSEcalCluster is persisted to LCIO.

I am going to change a bunch of files to reference Cluster.class instead of HPSEcalCluster.class in order to try and fix this where I can.

I'm hoping eventually we can completely remove from the code the HPSEcalCluster and HPSEcalClusterIC classes.

In order to this, I'm going to assume that all Cluster objects have as the first CalorimeterHit in their list the seed hit e.g.

aCluster.getCalorimeterHits().get(0);

will be assumed to have the seed.

If this is not the case, then you should change your algorithms so that this is always the case.

Also, we should externalize the position calculations in HPSEcalCluster into a ClusterPropertyCalculator.  This does not need to be on a Cluster extension class.

Any questions/concerns here?

--Jeremy