I need advice, I am torn where we should be having online design
discussions (a good example would be current discussion about
REST API). Should we have it in a dedicated ticket(s)?
In confluence on the page as comments? On mailing list?

I am not a big fan of discussing things through confluence page
comments because  it clatters the document, and once we update
the document the comments are becoming obsolete and look out
of place. Deleting them is not a good idea, because we are
losing the discussion.

My personal preference would be to carry all design discussions
in tickets, and have links to these tickets from the confluence
page. It is not a problem that comments in an old and closed
ticket are not in sync with live document (but obsolete comments
in a live document will look odd...).

Does anyone have an opinion?

Jacek