I have requested that we change the usage of Fix Version in JIRA.  The Fix Version should not be assigned when creating an item, only when actually resolving it.

The problem is that when making a release, JIRA puts all items matching that Fix Version into the release notes, even if they are un-resolved!  That means release notes end up having items in them that weren't actually fixed in that version, which is incorrect.  So we leave this blank until the item is actually resolved.

This changes what we had been doing before which was assigning this when creating the item, so this is just a minor change you should keep in mind.

Thanks.

--Jeremy