I have committed a change to lcsim so that the ECAL top and bottom beam gap sizes can be set in the compact.xml file.

See this resolved JIRA item

https://jira.slac.stanford.edu/browse/HPSJAVA-388

The parameters are set like

<layout beamgapBottom="40.0*mm" beamgapTop="20.0*mm" ... >

See this file for a complete example

lcsim/trunk/detector-framework/src/test/resources/org/lcsim/geometry/subdetector/HPSEcal3Test.xml

And you can test this with

cd lcsim/trunk/detector-framework; mvn test -Dtest=HPSEcal3Test

I verified that it looks right in the output Heprep file in JAS3 and also in the Geant4 visualization, where I saw the top and bottom gaps had different sizes from the parameters.

You will probably want to verify this separately anyways as a crosscheck, if you plan to use this for reconstruction or simulation.

This doesn't solve the problem of being able to align the ECAL in all generality.  That is a lot more complex to implement and will require writing a new detector model that is structured differently than the current one.  (I added a JIRA item for this, but I don't know when we will be able to do it!)

--Jeremy