I would like to copy some hundred files into an xrootd cluster consist of
1 metamanager, 4 redirectors, and 8 servers - all in different countries.
The files which need to go into the cluster are accessible through
xrootd in another cluster.

There are 2 problems I see so far:
1) using xrdcp to copy all files works, but always put the network
traffic through the host where it's executed which isn't nice, e.g
xrdcp root://old-cluster//file.root root://metamanager//file.root
would always have the whole file transfer through the xrdcp execution
host: old cluster ->xrdcp host, xrdcp host -> final file server instead of
old cluster -> final file server

2) xprep seems to be the tool which could be used for this purpose. On all
file servers automatic staging in from old-cluster works on demand through
frm_xfrd, but when using xprep nothing is staged in. I used
  xprep -s -f FileList.txt metamanger
and I see then in the cmsd metamanger log file messages about SelPrep for
all files failed; No servers are available to read the file

Could you please let me know how you handle such situations for your
clusters and how xprep should work (probably I misunderstand right now the
use case for it).

Cheers,
  Marcus
--