Quite correct; thank you Andreas for pointing this out. A patch is on it's way. Oh yes, I don't know of anyone who has implemented compression. I still have all the archived code that mates with the oss that implements random access compressed files from the Objectivity days. It was pretty good for Objectivity files. However, root files don't compress that well so few people are interested in compressing files.