Dear all,

Following the threads in this discussion prompts me to make the following comments:

1)      The statement re. not being able to move coils independently applies just to coils that are housed in the same cryostat. That is to say within the "QD0 cryostat" the QD0, SD0, OD0 (octupole), anti-solenoid and the extraction line quad QDEX1 coils move together as a rigid body and the equivalent coils in the QF1 cryostat also move together; however, the QD0 and QF1 cryostats themselves may be independently moved.

2)      In fact because of push-pull they must be independently adjustable since QF1 remains in place and the QD0 magnets get swapped during a detector change (with the new QD0 most likely settling in at a different position).

3)      That being said, there are different considerations/constraints for moving the QD0 and QF1 magnets. QD0 is supported within each detector and the considerations implied by being able to open a given detector for access have some impact here. It is expected that QD0 can be translated in all three axes. The yaw and pitch degrees of angular freedom are also reasonably easy to provide but roll, e.g. rotation about the incoming beam axis, is much more difficult. Thus we provide skew multiple coils within each coil package in order to provide an equivalent degree of freedom. Here it is good to also point out that the incoming and extraction beam lines define a plane; so making a physical roll about the common QD0/SD0/OD0 axis changes the vertical center of QDEX1 altering the path down the extraction line.

4)      Also since the first part of QD0 sees significant fringe field from the detector solenoids (which is then compensated by the anti-solenoid), it is best to minimize any relative movement between the detector and QD0. This is because with a fixed anti-solenoid setting, a shifted QD0 sees a slightly different fringe field distribution and the correction may not be accurate. Given that the detector and anti-solenoid coils are large compared to the expected shifts, this is probably a very small effect but it should be studied. As I am currently reworking the anti-solenoid design to match the developing specifications for SiD and ILD, I am also giving some thought to doing "anti-solenoid correction adjustments" should this prove necessary.

5)      Because the cryostat QF1 stays in place during push-pull, its position should be much more stable. Also the support structure for QF1 is not constrained by opening the detectors, so QF1 should reasonably be able to be moved in all six degrees of freedom; however, please remember as with QD0 movement of QF1 also impacts the focusing elements in the extraction beam line. Again all QF1 coils include skew correction coils. (Note for this terminology a skew-dipole deflects in the vertical plane.)

6)      Fortunately because the QF1 coils have magnetic yokes (that will shield the beam from external fields) and the detector fringe fields are anyway much smaller that for QD0, there is no anti-solenoid needed for QF1.

I hope the above comments are helpful to clear up any communication misunderstandings that may have occurred.

Respectfully submitted, - Brett Parker