Daniel,

	Can you please put your exception comments in DM-2482?

> "If anyone has troubles with adding dependency on pex_exceptions in
> log module, let me know asap. see
> https://github.com/lsst/log/pull/1/files
> <https://github.com/lsst/log/pull/1/files> "
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. I see the point in
> https://jira.lsstcorp.org/browse/DM-2482 , which is that it wants
> Python code to be able to catch exceptions thrown by log appenders,
> but I think that logging is one of those fundamental things that
> *must always work*. I would rather make logging exception-free. I'd
> like to be able to do logging when catching exceptions, and throwing
> exceptions within exceptions leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

	I agree that the act of logging per se should not throw
exceptions, but configuring logging is a bit of a different animal.  I
think the only reasonable alternative is to fall back to the default
logger and log that to the default logger (which does not seem
unacceptable to me).

	The SWIG requirement is already there with the current log
package.

> Can we find some other way to address this issue? Can we trap
> exceptions (and set a flag that can be checked) inside logging so
> that they can never be passed up?

	I don't think that is acceptable.  You either have to check all
the time, which is a waste, or you have to give up knowing where the
exception happened, which is mostly useless.

--
Kian-Tat Lim, LSST Data Management, [log in to unmask]